Do you want to turn data into insight through words and beautiful visualisations with nuance? I can help!
I have worked for local, national and international news organisations for the past six years. Some things I have done along the journey:
- Built a dashboard that gives insights on trends about the coronavirus
- Used photos to tell the story of pollution in Delhi
- Used 8,000+ faces to talk about candidates in the Indian Elections
- Analysed 25,000+ Bollywood songs to show the decline of women in solo songs
- Filed several public record requests to report a full-page newspaper story about the regulation of halfway houses in Florida
From talks to blogs
I love teaching and sharing my passion for data in news with an audience. My work has taken me to conferences in different parts of the world, ranging from Egypt to India. Here are the transcripts from a few.
Structuring visual narratives to feed the curiosity
March 2021 World IA Day, Virtual
Creating responsive data visualisations
November 2020 Content Web, Virtual
When statistics become stories
November 2019 DesignUp, Bangalore
Ideas and resources
Resources and ideas around data visualisation and journalism.
Dataset of datasets for journalists covering India
Data visualisation and data journalism resources
Frequently Asked Questions
- 40-minute long conversation on DesignUp’s Unmute about data and graphics journalism, my professional journey and the process of creating and learning.
- Some of my favourite tools / Global Investigative Journalism Network
- For Andy Kirk’s Explore Explain, I delved into the behind the scenes of The figures behind the faces, a piece I did for Reuters during the 2019 Indian elections. ( Audio / Video )
- I answer six questions for Giuseppe Sollazzo’s data newsletter / Quantum of Sollazzo
- How design shapes news and storytelling – tips from Gurman Bhatia, Reuters / Yourstory
- How the Hindustan Times is introducing Indian readers to interactive stories / Storybench