Do you want to turn data into insight through words and beautiful visualisations with nuance? I can help!
I have worked for local, national and international news organisations and non-profit organisations for the past seven years. Some things I have done along the journey:
- Built a dashboard that gives insights on trends about the coronavirus
- Trained a think tank’s research team in data-driven storytelling and defined data visualisation guidelines for them.
- Used 8,000+ faces to talk about candidates in the Indian Elections
- Analysed 25,000+ Bollywood songs to show the decline of women in solo songs
- Filed several public record requests to report a full-page newspaper story about the regulation of halfway houses in Florida
Organisations worked with
From talks to blogs
I love teaching and sharing my passion for data in news with an audience. My work has taken me to conferences in different parts of the world, ranging from Egypt to India. Here are the transcripts from a few.
Picture perfect dataviz
February 2022 Outlier 2022, Virtual
Structuring visual narratives to feed the curiosity
March 2021 World IA Day, Virtual
Creating responsive data visualisations
November 2020 Content Web, Virtual
Ideas and resources
Resources and ideas around data visualisation and journalism.
Dataset of datasets for journalists covering India
Data visualisation and data journalism resources
Frequently Asked Questions
- 40-minute long conversation on DesignUp’s Unmute about data and graphics journalism, my professional journey and the process of creating and learning.
- Some of my favourite tools / Global Investigative Journalism Network
- For Andy Kirk’s Explore Explain, I delved into the behind the scenes of The figures behind the faces, a piece I did for Reuters during the 2019 Indian elections. ( Audio / Video )
- Unedited thoughts on upskilling and data journalism for In Old News
- I answer six questions for Giuseppe Sollazzo’s data newsletter / Quantum of Sollazzo
- How design shapes news and storytelling – tips from Gurman Bhatia, Reuters / Yourstory
- How the Hindustan Times is introducing Indian readers to interactive stories / Storybench